Announcements By Month
Northwest Arkansas Christian Home Educators Association
NWACHEA’s Science and Education Fair will be held on Friday, March 30th, at the Jones Center food court. Exhibitors may begin setting up displays around 12:30, and judging will begin at 1 p.m. For each grade (preK – 12th), there will be 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place ribbons awarded. We will have more judges than previous years, with the same judges evaluating all exhibits for a particular age group.
The sign-up deadline has passed and no new entries are being accepted. However, ALL are invited to come view the displays and talk with the students about their projects during the fair. Visiting the fair is both fun and educational, and a great way to spark your child’s interest in participating in future education fairs!
Judges will score the exhibits based on the following: Creativity, Thought, Thoroughness, Skill/Age Appropriateness, and Clarity/Neatness
1. All exhibits should have a display board that explains the student’s project. (Even a decorated cake should have a board discussing steps of making the cake, baking, cooling, decorating, etc.) Display boards are available at Hobby Lobby or Wal Mart.
2. The display board should not be larger than 3 ft. high by 4 ft. wide. Each student may use about two feet of space in front of his board to display items related to his project. The tables at the Jones Center are small squares, with each table holding 2 exhibits back-to-back.
3. Display boards should have a title.
4. Parents will need to encourage, provide ideas and materials, and direct the child’s efforts – but the student should do the work to complete the project. A judge can tell if the exhibit is age-appropriate, and higher marks will be given if the work was clearly done by the student. Parents can teach a child how to use a computer, a ruler, or stencils, but should not do the work.
5. Students should be prepared to tell the judges what they learned while preparing their project. They should be able to pronounce the words on their display board, and demonstrate that they understand the material presented.
Join us for a Valentine’s Day party – including card exchange, fun, food, fellowship and ice skating* – on Thursday, February 16th, from 1 – 3 p.m. at the Jones Center in Springdale. NWACHEA members and ALL AREA HOMESCHOOLERS interested in checking out our groups are invited.
Meet in Room #226 at 1 p.m. to visit and eat and then we’ll go ice skating during the 1:45-3:00 p.m session.
Parents – bring a snack and drink to share with the group. Paper products and ice will be provided. Because this event is open to all, there will be a voluntary donation jar to help cover the cost of the facility.
Kids – bring a creatively decorated bag or box to receive Valentine cards, as well as approximately 30 signed Valentines to place in the boxes of other students. Wear a favorite costume if you’d like!! Dress up like a favorite hero or story character (optional). Each student will get party favors to take home.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: The Jones Center now charges $2 for skate rental, per person! This fee is not covered by NWACHEA. Those who own ice skates, please remember to bring them. All others will be required to pay the rental fee for skates at the rink.
JOIN US to fellowship with home school friends, as we celebrate Christ’s love for us AND our love for one another!